About this course
The Academy offers a full engineer officer cadet programme by a Higher National Diploma (HND) route, leading ultimately to the award of a UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) Engineer Officer’s Certificate of Competency (STCW’95 III/I OOW),and the Higher National Diploma (HND) in Marine Engineering.
The scheme consists of five phases (usually over three years), three spent at the Academy and two at sea gaining practical experience. The training consists of five distinct but complementary elements:
- An HE entry course at the Academy, designed to prepare new entrants for study at HND level.
- Engineering workshop skills training at the Academy to MNTB-approved standard.
- Academic education at the Academy to attain the HND in Marine Engineering and satisfy the Underpinning Knowledge (UPK) requirements for the IAMI written examinations.
- Practical training aboard ship, including completion of an MNTB Training Record Book. This enables candidates to develop the professional competency needed for initial certification by the UK’s MCA.
- In addition to the academic studies, the MCA requires officer cadets to take a number of safety and survival courses during their cadetship.
Course delivery location
From September 2017, the classroom teaching and workshop instruction for this course will be delivered from Solent University's St Mary's campus, located in Southampton city centre. All mandatory STCW maritime safety training courses will continue to be delivered from the Warsash campus.
Find out more
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course:
Telephone: +44 (0)23 8201 5025
Our office hours are (UK time):
Monday - Thursday: 08.30 - 17.00
Friday 08.30 - 16.30