About this course
This course has closed for September 2017 entry.
Warsash Maritime Academy offers a full marine electro-technical officer (METO) cadet programme by a foundation degree route, leading ultimately to the award of:
- Foundation Degree (FdEng) Marine Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- UK MCA METO Certificate of Competency (STCW A-III/6 OOW)
- A GMDSS Radio Maintenance Certificate and an Electronic Navigation Equipment Maintenance (ENEM) Certificate.
The programme also offers a direct top-up pathway to BEng (Hons) Marine Engineering and Management Top-Up.
The scheme consists of five phases (usually over three years): three spent at Warsash for academic delivery, and two at sea gaining practical experience. The education and training programme consists of four distinct but complementary elements.
- Academic education at Warsash in conjunction with work-based learning on board ship to attain the Foundation Degree Marine Electrical and Electronic Engineering, which provides a direct top-up pathway to the BEng (Hons) Marine Engineering Management Top-Up
- Engineering workshop skills training at Warsash to MNTB-approved standard
- Practical training on board ship, including completion of an MNTB Training Record Book. This enables candidates to develop the professional competency needed for initial certification by the UK’s MCA
- In addition to the academic studies, the MCA requires officer cadets to take a number of safety and survival courses during their cadetship. These include:
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Personal Social and Safety Responsibilities
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
- Elementary First Aid
- Proficiency in Medical First Aid
- Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats
- Advanced Fire Fighting
- GMDSS Radio Maintenance and ENEM certificates
- Human Element, Leadership & Management: Operational Level (HELM(O))
- High Voltage (Operational Level)
Course delivery location
From September 2017, the classroom teaching and workshop instruction for this course will be delivered from Solent University's St Mary's campus, located in Southampton city centre. All mandatory STCW maritime safety training courses will continue to be delivered from the Warsash campus.
Find out more
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course:
Telephone: +44 (0)23 8201 5015
Our office hours are (UK time):
Monday - Thursday: 08.30 - 17.00
Friday 08.30 - 16.30