About this course
One of just two maritime MBAs at UK universities, the MBA International Maritime Management from Southampton Solent University gives aspiring individuals the skills and practical understanding they need to take on senior positions and responsibilities in today’s maritime business organisations.
Delivered within the Warsash School of Maritime Science and Engineering; and supported by Warsash Maritime Academy and the School of Business, Law and Communications; this course combines the themes and valuable all-round business skills of a classic MBA with an exploration of the unique challenges and considerations of the global maritime industry.
This prestigious MBA in International Maritime Management focuses on strategic planning and management, governance and policy, and the international markets that drive the world economy in the 21st Century.
Students study all aspects of shipping and maritime, examining the global business environment and developing a greater understanding of the complex interactions between shipping companies, port authorities, businesses and governments.
Students will also enhance their research and analytical skills on specialist research units. These units prepare students for a major research project, where they will carry out original research into a specific area of the maritime industry. This project is a good opportunity to specialise knowledge, with many graduates using their research as a springboard for future careers.
- Human Resource Management and Leadership Development
- Research and Project Proposal
- Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Infrastructure Project Planning and development
- Information and Data Management
- Corporate Strategy and Change Management
- International Marketing
- Economics of International Trade and Shipping
- Investment Risk and Finance in Shipping
- Maritime Policy and Law
- Independent Maritime Business Research Project
How to book
Please contact the Southampton Solent University admissions team if you require more information about this course:
Telephone: +44 (0)23 8201 5066
Our office hours are (UK time):
Monday - Thursday: 08.30 - 17.00
Friday 08.30 - 16.30
The course’s taught content is delivered through a combination of workshops, seminars, case studies, problem-solving sessions, group projects and work based assignments. Students will also have the opportunity to work alongside relevant maritime organisations, developing solutions for real business problems.
If you are a junior manager and have some experience of the shipping industry, this master’s course is ideally suited to build upon your existing skills and knowledge. Students graduate with the industry specific knowledge and problem solving experience required to work towards senior management roles.
Suitable roles for graduates include:
- Project management
- Ship and shipping company management
- Marine accident investigation
- Business development
- Voyage operations management
- Port management
- Marine client management
- Vessel operations
- If your first language is not English, you must have an IELTS score of 6.5 (6.0 writing), or equivalent.
- An honours degree at 2:1 or overseas equivalent, or a good recognised professional qualification.
- A minimum of four years’ management experience, a significant proportion of which should be in the maritime sector.
English language requirements
Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language. The agreed minimum requirements for this course are:
- IELTS minimum 6.5 overall with minimum of 6.0 in writing and a minimum of 5.5 in reading, listening and speaking
- TOEFL IBT 92 with minimum of 22 in writing and a minimum of 19 in reading, listening and speaking - TOEFL is only valid for EU students
- or equivalent.